Here you will find listed the top 10 daily news stories from reputable sources across the internet. No more searching multiple health websites for health news as they are accessible from here. Only at the MedFriendly Medical Blog. Bookmark for future reference.
1. Poultry markets likely source of new bird flu in China: Poultry markets where birds are sold live and slaughtered on the spot are the likely source of the new H7N9 bird flu that’s killed more than 20 people in China, researchers said Thursday.
2. Latest HIV Vaccine Doesn't Work: Government Halts Study: The latest bad news in the hunt for an AIDS vaccine: The government halted a large U.S. study on Thursday, saying the experimental shots aren't preventing HIV infection.
3. Seattle police look for fake nurse who tried to steal meds from IVs: Seattle police call it one of the boldest attempted drug thefts they have seen: A woman impersonating a nurse, apparently addicted to painkillers, crept through the hospital rooms of patients and tried to steal medication from their IV machines.
4. Depressive thinking can be contagious: We don't think of emotional states as passing from one person to another, but a new study suggests some depressive thoughts can go viral.
5. Abnormal placenta may reveal newborn’s autism risk: As of today, there are no definitive tests to measure a child’s risk for developing autism. Since early intervention and therapy is key for at-risk children, such a test could be critical for managing the early development of a child.
6. Video may help terminal patients make CPR choice: Terminally ill cancer patients who watched either of two videos about the option to forego resuscitation overwhelmingly elected that route for the patient in the video, if not for themselves, according to a new study.
7. Alcohol And Weight Affect Women's Risk Of Getting And Dying From Liver Disease: Congress delegates heard this week about a study that showed the deadly effect that high alcohol intake and excess body weight can have on women's chances of developing and dying from chronic liver disease.
8. Cancer specialists slam high cost of drugs: Treating cancer is expensive. On Thursday, some of the world's top cancer specialists took an extraordinary step on behalf of their patients. They demanded that drug companies roll back their prices.
9. Almost Half of Americans Would Consider Donating Kidney to Stranger: Poll: Percentage of people in favor of donation keeps rising, experts say.
10. Majority of malaria deaths among small children in Africa: There were 219 million cases of malaria and 660,000 malaria-related deaths globally in 2010, World Health Organizations officials in Switzerland said Thursday.The majority of the malaria deaths were among children in Africa age 5 and younger.